Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Starting Off With A Bang

Choosing which story to begin with was very difficult for me, I have so many favorites.  So I took the advice of Jack McCoy (“When there’s no good place to start, start somewhere”) and I’m just starting somewhere.  And yes, I am referring to Jack McCoy from Law & Order. 

One summer in college I was shopping the Kittery Outlet stores in Maine with my stepsister Kalyn.  There must have been a lot of sales going on because we hit almost every one of the 120 stores; it was a long day.  Towards the end of the day we found ourselves at the Espirit outlet (which I believe has now gone out of business, Espirit is SO 8 years ago!)  I was at the point where I couldn’t spend another minute in a store, but Kalyn had found just a few more things she couldn’t live without.  So as she was waiting in the Christmastime-esque lines I waited at the front of the store with all the husbands and boyfriends who were feeling my pain.  Waiting is something I loathe, so as I stood there (none of the guys sitting on the benches offered me their seats…thank you chivalry) I looked around trying to find something to occupy my time.  And that’s when I saw it…right in the exit doorway, a 2-ft high stack of metal basket, just asking to be leapt over.

(not actual Espirit baskets)

Before showcasing my Knievel-like skills I wanted to make sure I had an audience, I mean who am I to deprive anyone of such a spectacle of extreme athleticism?!?  So across the many check out aisles and waiting boyfriends/husbands I screamed, “KALYN!! KALYN!! WATCH THIS!!”  The look on her face was the same confused yet curious look I was getting from all my onlookers, although I sensed a little embarrassment as well.  Now that I had my audience, I was ready.  I turned towards the doorway and took off.  After a few quick steps I leapt into the air, proudly soaring above the baskets.

And that’s when it happened.  All at once.  I heard a loud bang, felt a shooting pain in my right knee, heard gasps, heard laughter.  It took me a few seconds to figure out how I ended up IN the baskets and not triumphantly standing BESIDE them.  Apparently while planning this brilliant feat I failed to notice the baskets weren’t in fact in the doorway, but neatly stacked in front of a glass wall!  (What are the chances?!?)

I quickly untangled myself from the baskets and ran outside where I waited for Kalyn alone, laughing hysterically.  I never went back in to at least let people know I was ok or take a bow, but Kalyn and I did end up back at Espirit a few weeks later to return one of her purchases.  And wouldn’t you know, someone had added a bunch of black stickers to that glass wall.  I bet those stickers prevented many people from an embarrassing encounter with that glass.  So to all those people I say, “You’re Welcome!”

7 comments:

  1. I was hoping this would be your first blog. I will never forget the first time you told me this one while sitting on the floor of a train station right after you discovered you left you CD's on the last train (Such a sad day) But you managed to lighten the mood with this terrific story. I think it was even told with some demonstration as well. I can honestly say that is still probably the hardest I have ever laughed. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i KNEW that was going to be your first story!! i dont know how i could just sense it... its like we have ESPN or something. Man that was a funny freakin day!!! hahaha i am still laughing. Nice work sista!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the blog...very fun...keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hardest part of this whole blog idea had to be deciding which story to post first! There are SO MANY!! Thanks for the giggle.Love

    ReplyDelete
  5. you had me at "Espirit outlet". omg my coworkers thing i'm crazy right now b/c i can't stop laughing. i love this story.
    - monkey (i can't figure out how to change "anonymous" on this thing but as you know, i'm only anonymous when talking about whoring around and poo)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you hit your head really hard as well?

    ReplyDelete